2.04.2010

My .99 cent couch.

BEFORE

AFTER
Yes, I said I paid a whopping NINETY NINE CENTS for this beauty. For a while I had been wanting to try my hand at upholstery, and I really wanted a "new" couch. My mom had re-upholstered her couches without any sort of training, so I figured I could do it too. One day my husband and I were browsing the furniture section of our local Savers when we spotted the couch. I liked the look of it. I liked the wooden claw legs, and the overall condition of it was good, besides the hideous warn out fabric of course. The price tag said $40, but after speaking with a sales associate we learned that the following Monday it would be .99 cents! (If you are not an avid thrift store shopper, let me fill you in, Savers tags their items with colored tags. Every Monday all items of a certain colored tag go on sale for .99 cents.) OK, so first thing Monday morning I headed back to Savers to claim that couch. I had my husband's permission, and there was no way he could say no, given the sweet deal I was getting. I gladly paid the cashier my $1, and left the store with the biggest shopper's high ever. My husband picked the couch up after work, and that night I began tearing the fabric off. While digging in the couch's innards I found two quarters, bringing the cost down to .49 cents! Suh-weet. Now since this was my first go at upholstery, I didn't want to spend a fortune on fabric since there was a chance I could easily screw up. Then I would have been ticked about wasting money on lovely fabric, so I found a print I liked, but one that was on sale. I got 12 or 13 yards for around $34 bucks. Other then that I really didn't have to spend a lot of money. I borrowed the staple gun, and the cushions were in good enough condition that I did not bother replacing them. Projects really vary in level of difficulty when it comes to upholstery, so I was super lucky that this couch ended up being quite straightforward. Overall I am pleased with how it turned out considering it was my first attempt at re-upholstery. Given the price for my "new" couch I can't complain one bit!

**You'll notice that the middle cushion's piping was larger than the side two's piping, and the print was turned the opposite direction. That has since been fixed, and now I really love my couch!**

3 comments:

  1. I love that couch too, the fabric is awesome! You'll have to teach me one day how to do that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH, THAT WAS A SWEET PURCHASE!!
    I don't think I've ever seen anything for that price ....even at Savers! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great deal and what a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, and good luck with the giveaway!